Re: debian lenny on Acer Extensa 4420-5963

Hi David,

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 08:45:46AM -0400, David O'Toole wrote:

> > > The somewhat stale lenny netinst disc I had lying around did not
> > > detect any of the laptop's network hardware
> > [..]
> >
> > According to your boot log, the network adapter uses the "sky2" module,
> > so it's a Marvell Yukon 2 Gigabit Ethernet adapter.
> >

> I'm sorry I forgot to mention this---the boot log is from the successful
> install with the later netinst CD, so the Marvell is detected just fine.
> It's the wireless that I'm having trouble with now---nothing shows up in
> dmesg...

What is the driver ?

Do lspci or lshw commands show something ?

In the last case, you can try to use the ndiswrapper [1] with the
W32 driver.

> > If you have some time, can you send an installation report, so the
> > Debian-Installer know about this problem (it takes 10 minutes) :
> >  http://www.debian.org/releases/lenny/i386/apas04.html
>
> Is there another way to do this besides the reportbug command? It
> crashes because it doesn't support Gmail's SMTP...

You can send a email directly, but needs a special format [2]. But
reportbug supports Gmail. You can see my reportbug config file
(only interesting lines are shown):

/etc/reportbug.conf:
    email "n1ghtcr4wler@gmail.com"
    realname "Ricardo Ichizo"