Re: Driver for Apple USB modem 05ac:1401

--- Florian Kulzer <florian.kulzer+debian@icfo.es>
wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 18:23:44 +0200, annonygmouse
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi, I'm using a MacBookPro laptop with debian sid
> on it.
> >
> > Unfortunatelly it has no MODEM (PSTN) and during
> hollidays I needed one.
> > The bad luck is that I read on an Ubuntu forum
> about the modem and that
> > it worked, but I missread, they refered to an
> internal modem, not the
> > USB one.
> >
> > So I have now this useless (in linux, on MacOSX it
> works) usb modem.
> >
> > lsusb shows:
> > Bus 001 Device 005: ID 05ac:1401 Apple, Inc.
> >
> > so it detects it as an Apple thing, but shows
> nothing more...
> >
> > And here's the relevant part of "cat
> /proc/bus/usb/devices"
> >
> > T:  Bus=01 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=00 Cnt=01 Dev#=  5
> Spd=12  MxCh= 0
> > D:  Ver= 2.00 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS=64
> #Cfgs=  1
> > P:  Vendor=05ac ProdID=1401 Rev= 2.02
> > S:  Manufacturer=Motorola, Inc.
> > S:  Product=Apple USB Modem
> > S:  SerialNumber=000000
> > C:* #Ifs= 6 Cfg#= 1 Atr=a0 MxPwr= 50mA
> > I:* If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=02(comm.) Sub=03
> Prot=00 Driver=(none)
>
> I think this is the problem: AFAIK, the kind of
> modem that is supported
> by cdc-acm should have Class 02, Subclass 02,
> Protocol between 01 and
> 06. This Apple device does not seem to identify
> itself as USB_CDC_SUBCLASS_ACM.
> (I do not know what Subclass 03 is.)
>
> [...]
>
> > I've googled and found nothing about this modem
> working in linux.
> > I contacted Greg KH and he told me it should work
> with the kernel module
> > cdc-acm.
>
> Did you send the above output to Greg KH? Did he
> comment on the Sub=03
> issue?

Yes, Greg asked me for this output and I sent it to
him, this way he told me it should work with the
cdc-acm module, but no, he said nothing about the
Sub=03 issue...

> > I've tried to modprobe cdc-acm but I can't see any
> /dev/ttyACM or
> > anything similar. So I presume the module does not
> work for this modem.
>
> Does this modem maybe have different modes of
> operation, can it be
> configured by a switch or by an Apple-specific
> configuration program to
> be ACM compatible?

I've got no idea, I don't know that much about the
inners of
any modem driver/mode.... That's why I asked for help
:O.
I'm not that knowleageble of drivers and such...

PS: I add Greg to the CC, in case he missed the Sub=03
thing.

In case it where so "easy" as to add the "Sub=03"
somewhere,
where should it be added? HAL? The kernel?

Thanks for your help!

Sebastià