Re: Driver for Apple USB modem 05ac:1401

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 18:23:44 +0200, annonygmouse wrote:

> Hi, I'm using a MacBookPro laptop with debian sid on it.
>
> Unfortunatelly it has no MODEM (PSTN) and during hollidays I needed one.
> The bad luck is that I read on an Ubuntu forum about the modem and that
> it worked, but I missread, they refered to an internal modem, not the
> USB one.
>
> So I have now this useless (in linux, on MacOSX it works) usb modem.
>
> lsusb shows:
> Bus 001 Device 005: ID 05ac:1401 Apple, Inc.
>
> so it detects it as an Apple thing, but shows nothing more...
>
> And here's the relevant part of "cat /proc/bus/usb/devices"
>
> T:  Bus=01 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=00 Cnt=01 Dev#=  5 Spd=12  MxCh= 0
> D:  Ver= 2.00 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS=64 #Cfgs=  1
> P:  Vendor=05ac ProdID=1401 Rev= 2.02
> S:  Manufacturer=Motorola, Inc.
> S:  Product=Apple USB Modem
> S:  SerialNumber=000000
> C:* #Ifs= 6 Cfg#= 1 Atr=a0 MxPwr= 50mA
> I:* If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=02(comm.) Sub=03 Prot=00 Driver=(none)

I think this is the problem: AFAIK, the kind of modem that is supported
by cdc-acm should have Class 02, Subclass 02, Protocol between 01 and
06. This Apple device does not seem to identify itself as USB_CDC_SUBCLASS_ACM.
(I do not know what Subclass 03 is.)

[...]

> I've googled and found nothing about this modem working in linux.
> I contacted Greg KH and he told me it should work with the kernel module
> cdc-acm.

Did you send the above output to Greg KH? Did he comment on the Sub=03
issue?

> I've tried to modprobe cdc-acm but I can't see any /dev/ttyACM or
> anything similar. So I presume the module does not work for this modem.

Does this modem maybe have different modes of operation, can it be
configured by a switch or by an Apple-specific configuration program to
be ACM compatible?

          Florian   |