Re: Lenny(Etch upgrade) on Thinkpad R61: Fn keys and sound issue

On Wed, 2008-07-16 at 11:33 +0530, umesh debian wrote:
> I recently upgrade Etch to Lenny using apt-get dist-upgrade after
> changing all etch occurrences in sources.list. I am facing problems
> that were there is Etch also, mainly the Fn+* keys not working

Which keys aren't working ?

Currently almost all my keys are working. IIRC, I had to define some
keys in gnome menu>System>Preferences>Keyboard Shortcuts.

I should review my instructions on the page, but you can still have a
look :
http://www.klabs.be/~fpiat/linux/debian/Lenny_on_Thinkpad_T61.html#Keyboard

(Thinkpad T61 and R61 are the same machines. just different cases)

> and sound not working(HDA intel).

On the same page, check the "Sound" section, especially "No sound after
upgrade ?". (basically, the mixer settings are wrong).

> Had gone through a lot in internet regrading installing packages such
> as tpctl, tp_smapi, etc and Alsa divers for sound. Still i am not able
> to bring these up on the Laptop.
> Alsa already has a bug report regarding problem with HDA intel PCI
> sound. is there a workaround?
>
> If anybody has done successful changes for R61 in this regard, please reply.

A happy user of Thinkpad T61, with sound and keyboard shortcuts.

Franklin