Re: Setting up HP Pavilion DV 6458

On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 4:31 PM, Carl Fink <carlf@panix.com> wrote:
> Long delay, but I haven't had a lot of time to work on this.  Over the last
> couple of days I've made some progress.
>
> On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 11:43:36PM +0200, Gabriele Pongelli wrote:
>
> > i've tried to use the kernel module bcm43xx on my vanilla 2.6.24.4 kernel but it won't work...
> > if "lspci" tells you about this hardware
> > 03:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-PCI Card (rev 01)
> > you can use wifi with ndiswrapper and this [2] windows driver...
> > you've to execute these commands, briefly:
> > # m-a prepare
> > # m-a a-i ndiswrapper
> > # depmod -a
> > # modprobe ndiswrapper
> > # unzip -a /path/to/downloaded/R151517.EXE
> > # cd /path/to/downloaded/ && cd to the created directory form extraction and in subdirectory DRIVER
> > # ndiswrapper -i bcmwl5.inf
>
> So, I'm assuming I'm missing a step?
>
> Honestly, I did read the Wireless-HOWTO and search the Debian Wiki among
> other places, but I have no idea what I'm missing.  I will as before
> appreciate any help--I really do appreciate it, Gabriele.
> --
> Carl Fink                           nitpicking@nitpicking.com

Carl,

You appear to be doing Ndiswrapper right. Make sure you uninstall the
BCM43xx and the B43 driver from your repo completely, I would go as
far as manually deleting the drivers from /lib/firmware (If any
drivers exist?) to take care of any possible conflicts.

Also blacklist both BCM43xx and B43, because this is what I had to do,
to get my friends laptop going without it sending his wifi card to
sleep while trying to use ndiswrapper.

This card is being worked over at:

http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#unsupported

For the new future B43 driver. It may take time due to Broadcoms
lovely willingness to help...... LOL!!!! Anyway, report back and let
us know.

Regards,

--
JD. Brown