Re: acpid not create /var/run/acpid.socket

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 12:59:51PM -0700, gdstm-lnxmlsts@yahoo.com wrote:
> thanks.
> Due to a hard disk failure, I installed debian etch again use net install, and this problem disappeared.

hm, ok, but check again from time to time.

> by the way, I reformatted one of my partition use xfs filesystem with block size 512b, ( /usr ) it had ran for over a day. but the next time I powered on my laptop, the partition couldn't be mounted, and xfs check took a long time still did not fix it. so it took me three hours to install the system again. what's the reason? for the block size should be 4 kb only?

such a small block size is suitable for very small disk space (eg the old
floppy); on today multi-GB hdd, the resulting number of blocks is daunting:
since fs algorithms depend on #blocks, such 8x increase blow up execution
time. Moreover, addressing a single block the same size as the disk sector
size, one at a time, is overkill in terms of efficiency and wearing for the
hdd.
Hence exec times for typical operations may well skyrocket x1000 or so.

--
paolo