Re: 2.6.18 problems with grub and ACPI

On Sat, Feb 16, 2008 at 04:42:58PM +0100, Albert Dengg wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 16, 2008 at 03:02:26PM +0100, Richard Lyons wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I couple of words of warning about upgrading to 2.6.18:
> >
> > I recently tried installing the 2.6.18 linux image on an etch laptop
[...]
> > grub
> > ----
> > I immediately ran into the problem that the install quietly removed all
> > traces of grub from the computer.  The reinstallation of grub failed at
> > first because grub identified correctly the two kernel images, but got
> > the root wrong in menu.lst, so I needed to use a livecd to rescue the
> > unbootable laptop manually.
> that problem with grub having the wrong root partion do happen sometimes...
> (in fact i have 2 computer where that happens after every fresh debian
> install)

I am frequently tempted to go back to lilo.  IIRC, lilo always found the
right information including windows partition -- which grub doesn't know
about, so you always have to add that by hand.  Not that I boot 'doze
more often than once a year...
[...]
> > ACPI
> > ----
> > It was only later I noticed that the battery indicator on my windowmaker
> > desktop was no longer working.
[...]
> ...well you mentioned a thinkpad...

Actually, this specific issue was on an Acer Aspire 1640Z, though
perhaps something has been renamed there too...

> i don't know when i happend but notice that the ibm_acpi module was
> renamed to thinkpad_acpi at some point...don't know when it was exactly
[...]

Thanks, just the same.

--
richard