Re: 2.6.18 problems with grub and ACPI

On Sat, Feb 16, 2008 at 03:02:26PM +0100, Richard Lyons wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I couple of words of warning about upgrading to 2.6.18:
>
> I recently tried installing the 2.6.18 linux image on an etch laptop (in
> fact in the hope of solving a sound problem, but that is immaterial).
>
> grub
> ----
> I immediately ran into the problem that the install quietly removed all
> traces of grub from the computer.  The reinstallation of grub failed at
> first because grub identified correctly the two kernel images, but got
> the root wrong in menu.lst, so I needed to use a livecd to rescue the
> unbootable laptop manually.
that problem with grub having the wrong root partion do happen sometimes...
(in fact i have 2 computer where that happens after every fresh debian
install)
no need for a livecd though:
just select the kernel you want to boot and then hit 'e' to edit the
boot entry and chenge the root entry
also it is wise to inspect what exactly is going on when updateing the
kernel and/or the boot loader
> ACPI
> ----
> It was only later I noticed that the battery indicator on my windowmaker
> desktop was no longer working.  I had been so thrilled that it started
> working 'out of the box' with 2.6.17, that I didn't at first check.
...well you mentioned a thinkpad...
i don't know when i happend but notice that the ibm_acpi module was
renamed to thinkpad_acpi at some point...don't know when it was exactly

> Anyway, as 2.6.18 gave me no benefits, I have now returned to the
> 2.6.17.
well, there is one: there is security support for the debian 2.6.18*
tree, but not for the older kernels (and that can cerainly be a benefit)

yours
albert