Re: Cannot mount usb memory with correct filesystem encoding

On 28/01/2008, Nickel Cobalt <angelerosster@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/1/28 Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com>:
>
> > After checking the codepage in a university windows machine, but
> > making no changes to neither the card nor my computer, the card now
> > automounts with the correct Hebrew filesystem encoding. Strange
> > indeed.
> >

> Maybe you had done some upgrades. Em... but congratulations
>
> For most time, it's a problem for those non-english users, especially
> chinese.
> I think if you can check the system and find some reasons, then send them to
> me, I will be very glad to collect them together. This will help some
> non-english users.

I would recommend these practices:

1) Always work with UTF-8 when you can. That goes for filesystems,
files, and email.
2) If disks mount with gibberish in Linux, then check how they mount
in windows with the chcp command.
3) Have a gibberish-translator at the ready, so that you don't need to
go looking for one at the critical moment that you need it. Shameless
plug: for Hebrew use http://gibberish.co.il

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il