Re: Sound Not working on T61

Hi Jos,

> Thanks for your response. I've installed Debian-Etch 4.0 r1 initially.
> Now I have upgraded to Lenny, by editing sources.list and included
> non_free too in it.

I just saw this on Debian planet this morning ;)

http://wiki.debian.org/EtchAndAHalf

> But the problems that I had in Debian-Etch remains the same in Lenny
> too. Now I'm trying to recompile alsa module. as per Franklin's reply.
> I'm trying an easy method, by downloading and recompiling kernel 2.6.23.
> The link given by Franklin says that  the patch is included in 2.6.23.

Do you use linux-source package from Debian and make-kpkg? If not, I
suggest you do so. I use:

# make-kpkg --initrd --rootcmd fakeroot kernel_image modules_image

> After compiling the kernel 2.6.23, I got a Kernel panic also.
> dev/console: no such file or directory. I'm getting this error whenever
> I try to compile a newer kernel version than the distribution provides.
> But if I mount the initrd file system manually, I can see /dev/console
> in it. I don't know why it cannot be detected. I remember that I started
> getting this error from 2.6 kernel onwards, in all my PCs that I have
> installed Debian. I will not get this kernel panic if the kernel version
> <= version of the kernel provided by the distribution.

There is already Debian packages for 2.6.24 here:

# Experimental kernel
deb http://kernel-archive.buildserver.net/debian-kernel trunk main

Maybe it could be worth to give them a try.

Regards,

Cyril Jaquier