Re: Thinkpad Z60T suspend to ram

On Wed, Jan 09, 2008 at 08:28:02 -0800, 8rino wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 08, 2008 at 01:40:37 -0800, 8rino wrote:
> [...]
> If I understand you correctly, you can suspend and resume without
> problems if you use this command directly? That means you almost have it
> working already. We just have to figure out how to make sure the
> --quirk-s3-bios option is invoked when you press Fn-moon.
>
> This is actually the problem.
>
> > Here
> > (/http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problem_with_display_remaining_black_after_resume)
> > it is suggested to write
> > DISPLAY_QUIRK_S3_BIOS=\"true\"  into /etc/pm/config.d/config for FC7.
> > I did it, but seems not to work with debian.
>
> This might be a misunderstanding: I think you should put
>
> DISPLAY_QUIRK_S3_BIOS="true"
> into this file.
>
> I made a bad copy&paste from the page.
> In  my /etc/pm/config.d/config is written exactly as above

[...]

> Thanks to your help and suggestions I've found this
> http://en.opensuse.org/Pm-utils
> which is a very helpful page indeed.
> It explains all the nuts and bolts of pm-utils.
>
> Nevertheless I'm still unable to suspend/hibernate the machine properly,
> even if I'm quite happy since I'm starting to understand something.
>
> >From
> cat /var/log/pm-suspend.log
> I get
>
> ===== Wed Jan  9 16:02:52 CET 2008: running hook:
> /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/00clear =====
> /usr/lib/pm-utils/functions: line 28: [: /etc/pm/config.d/config: binary
> operator expected
> /usr/lib/pm-utils/functions: line 28: [: /etc/pm/config.d/config: binary
> operator expected
>
> where around line 28  in /usr/lib/pm-utils/functions
>
> I find this:
>
> source_configs()
> {
>         cfgs="/etc/pm/config.d/*[^~]"
>         for cfg in $cfgs ; do
>                 [ -f $cfgs ] || continue
>                 set -a
>                 . $cfg
>                 set +a
>         done
> }
>
> I'm not a programmer, so do you have any idea, please ?

I think the mistake is in this line:

                 [ -f $cfgs ] || continue

It should have "$cfg" instead of "$cfgs":

                 [ -f $cfg ] || continue

This part of the script saves a list of all files in /etc/pm/config.d/
in the variable $cfgs and then it loops over the elements in this list,
assigns one after the other to $cfg, tests if the current $cfg file
exists and executes (sources) it if it is a regular file. The mistake in
the script explains why your configuration commands are not executed.
Maybe it will work if you correct it by removing the superfluous "s".

If that does not make it work then we will have to find out what exactly
happens when you press Fn-moon. After you press it you should find some
information about this in the syslog. I propose that you press Fn-moon,
get the laptop working again (hard reboot, I assume) and then run this:

grep acpid /var/log/syslog

(Normally the ACPI daemon is the one responsible for handling the
 special keys. It should write in the log which script is called. We
 might then be able to adapt this script to your needs.)

> BTW, thanks for being a good interlocutor. I appreciate it a lot.
> I'm quite alone here dealing with Linux. I switched "definitely" to it only
> 6 months ago or so.

There is a lot to learn in the beginning, of course, but the good thing
is that it gets easier quickly and that the overall system design is
much more logical than the one of a certain other OS. Also keep in mind
that specialized laptop hardware and functions like suspend are among
the most difficult to configure under Linux; most other things are much
easier to get working.

> We are somehow colleagues. You can find me here
> http://www4.unifi.it/dssnp/english/professors/pantani.htm

It is nice to find other Chemists using Linux.

          Florian   |