Re: Thinkpad Z60T suspend to ram

On Tue, Jan 08, 2008 at 01:40:37 -0800, 8rino wrote:

[...]

> I did the following:
>
> apt-get install hibernate
> that installed also vbetool
>
> I tried to read the manuals, but I did not understand properly what I'm
> suppose to do.

I initially suggested hibernate and vbetool because they helped me to
get suspend to ram working on my laptop (which is not a thinkpad, but I
also have an intel graphics chip). The hibernate configuration files
have a commented-out option to use vbetool after resume, and this
removed my own problems with the black display. However, since your
thinkpad seems to be configured already to use pm-utils, I suggest that
you try a bit more with that.

> When I tried to "suspend" the computer (pressing Fn-moon), it failed but I
> had a pop-up addressing me to
> http://people.freedesktop.org/~hughsient/quirk/
>
> There I find many useful information, but stil I'm not able to suspend the
> computer correctly.
> I modified "i810" in "intel" in the xorg.conf file, as requested by
> ./quirk-checker.sh  and, as far as I can understand, I must use the quirk
> "--quirk-s3-bios" to the pm-suspend command.
>
> If i write pm-suspend--quirk-s3-bios, everything seems to work fine, but I
> do not know where to write this option permanently.

If I understand you correctly, you can suspend and resume without
problems if you use this command directly? That means you almost have it
working already. We just have to figure out how to make sure the
--quirk-s3-bios option is invoked when you press Fn-moon.

> Here
> (/http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problem_with_display_remaining_black_after_resume)
> it is suggested to write
> DISPLAY_QUIRK_S3_BIOS=\"true\"  into /etc/pm/config.d/config for FC7.
> I did it, but seems not to work with debian.

This might be a misunderstanding: I think you should put

DISPLAY_QUIRK_S3_BIOS="true"

into this file. You only need to type the backslashes ("\") if you use
the echo command to write this line into this file. Can you post the
output of

cat /etc/pm/config.d/config

?

> Moreover, in the manual for pm-suspend I read

[...]

> and the CONFIGURATION VARIABLES section below in the manual seem not to
> report
> DISPLAY_QUIRK_S3_BIOS=\"true\" as a valid variable.

This might simply mean that the manual is not up-to-date. The thinkwiki
pages have the reputation to be the best source of information for
thinkpad users.

> I think that there are some files where I have to write some options, but
> I'm unclear where they are and in which order they are read/executed
> Any hint as to where to learn such things?

In a perfect world the manpages should always list the configuration
files and directories. Sometimes it is necessary to use google or to
list all files of a package and make a guess.

(You can use "dpkg -L pm-utils" to list all files in the pm-utils
 package, for example.)

> Moreover, coming back to hibernate, in the hibernate manual I see that I
> should compile the kernel in order to let "hibernate" work. Is that true ?
> From dmesg I have not any tuxonice non suspend2 item

Only some ways of suspending require a kernel patch. As I said above,
try a bit more with pm-utils since it works from the command line
already.

          Florian   |