Re: ipw2200 on Gateway running etch

Bob Proulx wrote:
Jim Moore wrote:

Got the connection active this morning.  Getting the fw files in place
was all it needed. The ipw2200 was in my install.  So all was in place
and upon rebooting it showed that I had an active wireless connection.

Very good to hear.

Then came the process of getting wpa_supplicant up as I run WPA-PSK TKIP
security.  I really complicated that as it was one of the modules in the
"etch" install.  I heard about supplicant from a local linux user and
had downloaded the tarball for 0.5.7. I proceeded to try to install it
before I finally did some checking and discovered that the preloaded
version was 0.5.5.  After removing 0.5.7, shutting down and removing my
network cable, I restarted and the supplicant gui came up asking for my
password. Entered and voila.  Connected like a champ.

That seems like a lot of work.  Not to detract from your good results
but I think that much effort was not needed.

The default installation of Etch will install NetworkManager by
default.  Internally NetworkManager already uses wpa_supplicant.
Therefore I think that if you use NM to connect that you will get
wpa_supplicant without needing to compile and install it explicitly.

It "just worked" for me when I connected up to a WPA wireless node.  I
have always been a low-level type of guy and only recently tried using
NM to manage these things.  But so far I am quite impressed, like it
quite a bit, and think the relationship with NM will be a long one.

Bob

Hear you Bob.  I make the whole thing much toooo difficult by trying to configure the later version of supplicant while the one in etch was already installed.  It was a matter of forging ahead without having read enough about etch and knowing that supplicant was already there.

Jim