Re: ipw2200 on Gateway running etch

Jim Moore wrote:
> Got the connection active this morning.  Getting the fw files in place
> was all it needed. The ipw2200 was in my install.  So all was in place
> and upon rebooting it showed that I had an active wireless connection.

Very good to hear.

> Then came the process of getting wpa_supplicant up as I run WPA-PSK TKIP
> security.  I really complicated that as it was one of the modules in the
> "etch" install.  I heard about supplicant from a local linux user and
> had downloaded the tarball for 0.5.7. I proceeded to try to install it
> before I finally did some checking and discovered that the preloaded
> version was 0.5.5.  After removing 0.5.7, shutting down and removing my
> network cable, I restarted and the supplicant gui came up asking for my
> password. Entered and voila.  Connected like a champ.

That seems like a lot of work.  Not to detract from your good results
but I think that much effort was not needed.

The default installation of Etch will install NetworkManager by
default.  Internally NetworkManager already uses wpa_supplicant.
Therefore I think that if you use NM to connect that you will get
wpa_supplicant without needing to compile and install it explicitly.

It "just worked" for me when I connected up to a WPA wireless node.  I
have always been a low-level type of guy and only recently tried using
NM to manage these things.  But so far I am quite impressed, like it
quite a bit, and think the relationship with NM will be a long one.

Bob