Re: ATI fglrx driver on sid

I don't use this T60 much often these days and i just can't tell when exactly what happened. Anyway, after some upgrade, GL applications stopped working, with the same libGL.so error messages. Inbetween there was a xserver-xorg dependency problem which required some package downgrading, which meanwhile got fixed. Additionally, i recompiled the fglrx module for linux 2.6.22-3 stock kernel, deleted a well working self compiled massively patched 2.6.19 rc kernel, and tried 2.6.23 where fglrx runs out to be not possible.

So take this info with a grain of care.

Inspired by
<http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?s=831357cae238b6b416ac30723cfd0f97&t=5947&page=53>

i symlinked

ln -s  /usr/lib/fglrx/diversions/libGL.so.1.2    /usr/lib/libGL.so.1

Afterwards the libGLso error message was gone, and google earth works again.
However, the KDE terminal (konsole) still is slow like hell (i'm not sure if that's related though),  and tools like fgl_fglrxgears don't work as before. The latter e.g. replies,

Using GLX_SGIX_pbuffer
X Error of failed request:  GLXUnsupportedPrivateRequest
  Major opcode of failed request:  130 (GLX)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  16 (X_GLXVendorPrivate)
  Serial number of failed request:  42

and there's no 3d 'gears' graphic anymore.
Or maybe meanwhile that feature is gone completely, anyway ?

This is a debian testing/unstable with xorg package Version: 1:7.2-5,
and fglrx-driver 8.42.3-2, kernel module compiled from fglrx-source.

I downgraded xorg from 7.3 which didn't work either - see attached log.

Note the drmOpenDevice failures - i hope this is unrelated :|

btw. in the Xorg log, i can find

fglrx: driver needs X.org 7.1.x.y with x,y >= 0.0
fglrx: could not detect xserver version

After downgrade, the message slightly changed to sth like
fglrx: could not detect xserver version (query status -3)

which doesn't seem to be much better.

I hope someone could throw some light on this issue.

 m°