Re: bad usage of the cpu by debian ?

Hi,

On Thu, 04 Oct 2007, Thibaud Hulin wrote:

> I've just acquired a nice hp compaq nx9010 (pentium IV 2,8 Ghz), and I installed Debian etch on dual boot.
> I'm using the applet of gnome to read the cpu.
> Unfortunately, I see that the cpu don't work at the realtime of the cpu, 2,8 , but 1,6 Ghz.

many notebooks, only reach their max frequency when attached to AC power.

> I tried to use cpufrequtils package, but I failed.
> With XP, cpu continue to be normally recognized at 2,6.
> I tried to do that :
> echo "2790000" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq

try
echo "2790000" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq

and post us the output of:
cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
and
cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_frequencies

maybe you have loaded the "powersave" govenor, which always chooses the
lowest speed.

--
Florian Reitmeir