Re: power management problems

On Thu, 2007-09-13 at 02:16 +0530, Ritesh Raj Sarraf wrote:
> The [laptop] is a Dell XPS M1210 laptop which has:
> * Intel Core Duo 2.0Ghz Processor
> * 2 GB RAM
> * 60 GB 7200RPM SATA HDD
> * nVIDIA GPU
>
> While I'm using 2.6.22 with HI-RES Timers, I hardly get around 5-10
> minutes
> of power when running on battery. Where as Windows makes it run for
> 1.5 hrs approx.
That's a huge difference !
Do you have any device plugged in ? (pcmcia, wifi, 3G card, GPS, Phone,
etc.)
I ask because i have read a few report on
http://tuxmobil.org/dell.html , but none mention you problem.

Do you use a 3d desktop ?
Have you tried do disable Xwindow (so GPU is down) ?
Does "top" show a process using a lot of cpu ?

> I've tried to make sure that no such process is running which could
> consume
> my power. AFAIK the machine is in idle state but still can't survive
> for
> more than 10 minutes.

> And it is not that the power management app (kpowersaved) gets the
> wrong
> information about the battery information and goes to sleep. When on
> battery, immediately within minutes the warning LED for the battery
> starts
it might be wrong too. (it's unlikely, but possible).

> PS: I did try powertop but couldn't find any serious offenders.
How many wakeups ? How much time in each state ?

Franklin