Re: Choosing Hardware

> Interesting - that's a pre-Lenovo one?

No, the X60 is recent and definitely post-IBM.

> My understanding was that Lenovo had publicly declared that they weren't
> interested in supporting Linux, which was a bit of a turnoff for me.

It wouldn't surprise me that they've stated something like that.
OTOH they were recently quoted as announcing they're going to sell machines
with GNU/Linux pre-installed.  I wouldn't hold my breath any more than for
Dell in this respect, but at least it seems that they're not ignoring
GNU/Linux altogether (e.g. they provided a patch for my T60's ethernet card
whose checksum was broken, even though that only affected the GNU/Linux
driver because the Windows driver apparently never bothered to check the
checksum).

> The X60s is small, too - I think I'd rather have a larger screen
> than that.

Yes, the 1024x768 is a bit limiting (I have an X30).  They're very good
machines otherwise, especially if you're into lightweight and long
battery life.

> Yes, the weight is a bit of a pain - heavier (and larger) than my current
> Tecra 8100. I'm hoping it will be sufficiently better that it's worth
> carrying :-) I think I can cope with a bit of extra weight and size if it
> means a decent size screen. I intend to get rid of my (home) desktop.

Try one of the Thinkpad Txx with 14" 1400x1050 screens.  They're a great
compromise, but you'll have to be careful to avoid the ones with the dreaded
recent (i.e. only supported through the proprietary driver) ATI chipsets.

As someone else said: you may want to look at older machines.  E.g. T42
instead of T60 or T61.  They're cheaper but work just as well (not much
slower, really) and usually better supported.

        Stefan