Re: Trouble CPU frequency and battery on macbook

On 8/6/07, Alexandre Neubert <alexandre.neubert@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello everybody,

I got news on this problem, perhaps this will help fixing my problem. I got the speedstep working by adding some lines to the /etc/rc.local script, as described in the debian wiki for the macbook.

But, I still don't have my battery recognized. So I installed an ubuntu feisty as dual boot on my macbook since the ubuntu documentation says that the battery of the macbook is recognized without problem and without having to compile a custom kernel.
But, after installing and updating the ubuntu (I installed from the live CD) it happens to have the same behavior as on debian --> The battery is not recognized (gnome applet says no battery is present).

So, I suppose that the kernel parameters are not the cause of this; did I forgot something (a daemon, a program, a module)?

Thanks a lot

Regards,

Alex

I also have a MacBook, so I'll share my experience.  Anyway, what I'd recommend is two things.  First, add the source (not the binary) repositories for Debian Unstable to your sources.list.  This can be done by editing said file (/etc/apt/sources.list) or using Synaptic.  Then, rebuild the 2.6.22 kernel from Debian's source using the following instructions:

http://kernel-handbook.alioth.debian.org/ch-common-tasks.html

Follow the instructions to build a stock kernel only for your subarchitecture (do a uname -r to find out what this is - it's 686 on i386 Debian, but I dunno with amd64 Debian).  Install the resulting debs - you may need to download a few dependencies from unstable (just get them from the Debian site).  You will now have a 2.6.22, Debianized kernel - which works pretty well for power management.

After doing this, try to install "powertop".  For this, you want to add the unstable binary repositories to your sources.list and pin them to a low priority (google "apt pinning" for info on how to do this).  Then, do an "apt-get -t unstable install powertop".  Run powertop as root, and follow the suggestions it gives you.  You should notice a difference, though you will need to add some of the suggested commands it gives you to a script that runs at boot for them to be retained after rebooting.

With that said, this is all quite tricky, and I've found that it may be much simpler - and work better - to simply run the testing (lenny) distribution on a MacBook.  The power management seems to automatically function that way.  You may need to install the 2.6.22 kernel from unstable, though, using apt-pinning (no need to build from source on testing).

Tim