Re: xterm font size

Eric Cooper <ecc@cmu.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 10, 2007 at 05:00:59PM -0700, Bill Moseley wrote:
>> The xterm fonts are nice, but too small.  I can use xfontsel to browse
>> fonts, but I can't seem to find the one xterm is using (so that I
>> might make it bigger).  Is there a way to tell what font my xterm is
>> using?

> Note that recent xterms can also use antialiased TrueType fonts, which

"recent", since:

Patch #156 - 2001/4/28 - XFree86 4.0.3
Patch #151 - 2001/3/10 - XFree86 4.0.2
Patch #148 - 2000/10/31 - XFree86 4.0.1d

http://invisible-island.net/xterm/xterm.log.html

> look much better IMO.  But the option syntax is completely different:
> For example:

>     XTerm*faceName: bitstream vera sans mono
>     XTerm*faceSize: 14
>     XTerm*faceSize1: 8
>     XTerm*faceSize2: 9
>     XTerm*faceSize3: 10
>     XTerm*faceSize4: 12
>     XTerm*faceSize5: 16
>     XTerm*faceSize6: 20

btw, If the face-sizes aren't specified, they're computed based on the
bitmap font-sizes...

> (I use a big monitor, and I have aging eyes, so I like bigger fonts ...)

I usually use the largest bitmap fonts - the TrueType fonts have generally
poor coverage of Unicode.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net