installing ati graphics drivers

I have a laptop (HP-Pavilion ze4400) that I have used with either the
standard ati or vesa driver for a year or so now. lspci says this about
my video card..

01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon Mobility
U1 (prog-if 00 [VGA])
        Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Pavilion ze4400 builtin Video
        Flags: bus master, stepping, fast Back2Back, 66MHz,
mediumdevsel, latency 66, IRQ 10
        Memory at e0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
       01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon
Mobility U1 (prog-if 00 [VGA])
        Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Pavilion ze4400 builtin Video
        Flags: bus master, stepping, fast Back2Back, 66MHz, medium
devsel, latency 66, IRQ 10
        Memory at e0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
       01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon
Mobility U1 (prog-if 00 [VGA])
        Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Pavilion ze4400 builtin Video
        Flags: bus master, stepping, fast Back2Back, 66MHz, medium
devsel, latency 66, IRQ 10
        Memory at e0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
        I/O ports at 9000 [size=256]
        Memory at d0100000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
        [virtual] Expansion ROM at d0120000 [disabled] [size=128K]
        Capabilities: [58] AGP version 2.0
 I/O ports at 9000 [size=256]
        Memory at d0100000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
        [virtual] Expansion ROM at d0120000 [disabled] [size=128K]
        Capabilities: [58] AGP version 2.0
 I/O ports at 9000 [size=256]
        Memory at d0100000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
        [virtual] Expansion ROM at d0120000 [disabled] [size=128K]
        Capabilities: [58] AGP version 2.0

I bought this laptop second hand, the previous owner told me that he had
this video card upgraded when he purchased the laptop along with adding
256MB of ram so the video wouldn't take away any of his main 512MB. When
he had this computer he had Win/XP on here and he was playing games so I
think this video card is quite capable but I am not too sure.

I read on this list a few times something about installing ati drivers
for the video and I have tried to do that a few times without any
success. I see an installer from ati as well as something about fglrx in
module-assistants list of stuff but I don't know how to install them.

Anyone have experience with with this card/chip and can give me some
advice about installing the drivers?

On my desktop I have an nvidia card and that works well for me but I
haven't ever had to install ati drivers and I can't seem to figure it
out.