Re: ThinkPads

Hans Poppe wrote:
> Andrew McMillan wisely stated:
>
>> My experience
>> with the ATI drivers is that they have improved a lot over the last
>> couple of years, and the installation is certainly much better.  The
>> downloadable drivers will let you create a Debian package to install
>> from, though you have to pass it a magic command-line switch to do so.
>
> You wouldn't be so kind as to tell us what the "magic command-line
> switch" is would you? I've been trying to do this before, witout luck.
>
> Thanks,
> Hans Poppe
> Oslo, Norway

Commanding something like

  sh ati-driver-installer-8.38.6-x86.x86_64.run --help

lists all options. With

  sh ati-driver-installer-8.38.6-x86.x86_64.run --listpkg

you'll get a list of supported packages. For "debian testing", e.g.,
something like

 sh ati-driver-installer-8.38.6-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Debian/testing

should build the appropriate package. But it needs certain debian
packages in order to work.
--
Regards,
Jörg-Volker.