Re: Noob question re Kernel update and iptables

Hi, try to have a look at this howto:
http://www.howtoforge.com/linux_iptables_sarge
Be careful that the kernel version used in this howto is a little
older than yours, some option's names may be slightly changed.

Bye,
JoY

On 5/13/07, Paolo <oopla@users.sf.net> wrote:
On Sat, May 12, 2007 at 06:57:45PM -0700, Frank Parker wrote:
> Kernel 2.6.18-4-686
> 1.  Is there a good link on compiling the kernel?
> 2.  What is a module?
> 3.  How do you compile it with iptables?
> 4.  Is that what I need to do is recompile the kernel?

1. pls don't top-post
2. seems you need to read up most of docs from eg.
  http://www.debian.org/support
  but you may want to check in your local /usr/share/doc and/or
  http://localhost/dwww/
  if you have installed docs/how-to pkgs and dwww

> error:
> iptables v1.3.6: can't initialize iptables table `nat': Permission denied (you must be root)
> Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.
> iptables v1.3.6: can't initialize iptables table `nat': Permission denied (you must be root)
> Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.
>
> I am in root.. So what is the problem?

what's the command you're try to run which yields such error? if that's from
the boot up sequence, pls post a few lines before and after these.

--
paolo