Re: helpme with my rt2500 (airmong-ng start)

On Fri, May 04, 2007 at 02:15:21PM -0700, Joe Emenaker wrote:
> javier melendez wrote:
> >hi i need help. i have a paroblem with my drivers (native) of the debian
> >etch. I try to work in mode monitor with "airmong-ng start" but when i put
> >to run aireplay the mode monitor change to mode managed. what is the
> >problem?.  thanks....
> >
> None of the stock drivers in the kernel, according to the aircrack site,
> support injection (ie, the thing that aireplay does). You've got a few
> choices here:
> 1 - Download the BackTrack2 live CD (which has patched drivers for
> everything), or
> 2 - Go to the aircrack site and follow their instructions for getting
> the right drivers for your card. Also, while you're there, you should
> get the development version of aircrack, which now has an "injection
> test" mode (option -9). Some cards I've tested support some tests (like
> ARP replay) and fail on tests like the fragmentation attack.

This driver is not a stock driver from the kernel.  One needs to get
it separately and install it (either from the rt2500-source package
or directly from upstream).

I played around with using rt2500 with aircrack in the past.  It worked
fine in monitor mode but I don't remember if I tried injection.

The rt2500 driver is no longer being actively developed and it may lack
certain features.  (Though it's fine unless you're looking for really
specific things.  I still use it.)

Nowadays efforts are directed towards a more general driver called
rt2x00 and this supports certain things the rt2500 doesn't.  (I think it
might have injection.  There's a package rt2x00-source which you can try
out but make sure to check out
http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page
because there is a lot of development going on and the debian packages
will not be the very latest.

Selim T. Erdoğan