Re: Wireless network adapter: ndiswrapper loaded, but cannot connect to network

On Fri, 4 May 2007 08:12:30 -0400
"Denis Papathanasiou" <denis.papathanasiou@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a Toshiba Satellite 2850 laptop running Debian kernel
> 2.6.18-4-686 with a Linksys wireless network card (pcmcia), model
> WPC54G  802.11g.
>
> I followed the ndiswrapper installation instructions from this site --
> http://ch.tudelft.nl/~arthur/wpc54g/ -- and everything succeeded.
>
> That is, until I got to the final step, scanning for access points:
>
> # iwlist eth1 scan
> eth1      Interface doesn't support scanning : No such device
>
> According to iwconfig, the card is there (i.e., the modprobe of
> ndiswrapper worked), but not attached to any network:
>
> # iwconfig
> lo        no wireless extensions.
>
> eth0      no wireless extensions.
>
> eth1      IEEE 802.11b/g  ESSID:""  Nickname:"Broadcom 4306"
>           Mode:Managed  Frequency=2.437 GHz  Access Point: Invalid
>           RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
>           Encryption key:off
>           Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0
>           Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
>           Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0
>
> sit0      no wireless extensions.
>

> I also tried connecting using the network gnome gui (Desktop ->
> Administration -> Networking), and got the same result.
>
> I.e., just like iwconfig, the gui detects the wireless network
> adaptor, but clicking the "Activate" button doesn't work.
>
> Any suggestions?

Forgive some simple questions, but your message lacks some info. Is
there an AP within range? If so, does it use encryption (WEP / WPA[2])?
Can you reach the AP using any other system / OS? From the same
location as your linux box? What chipset is the card? What drivers is
ndiswrapper using?

Celejar