Re: Extremely slow boot on new Vaio

2007/5/1, Preben Randhol <randholpvv.org>:

> I've got a laptop Vaio with exactly that CPU and I've never had such a
> problem of slow boot. I always use i686 kernels. With this computer
> I've only had problems with the hard disk (SATA).
> The exact laptop model is vaio VGN-A617B

Hi! Which kernel do you use now? Did 2.6.18 work?

Yes it did, an dit still does (it was the default install kernel with etch).
I use both debian etch and fedora6 on this computer. With fedora
2.6.18 and 2.6.20 work as well, although boot on debian is a bit
longer (I think both distributions simply don't boot the same way and
the difference is not particular to this computer).

I have seen many (ubuntu/debian) people complain that their computer
got very slow after moving to dapper/etch.

The solution somebody offered was to use the 486 and this seems to work
for 2.6.18 at least.

Hopefully 2.6.20-686 works though

Preben

--