Re: synaptic? what no opensource driver?

somethin2cool@yahoo.com:

> This group is full of people wanting the synaptics touchpad driver.

s/wanting/having.

> My
> touchpad works fine, but only as a touchpad. There are no options to
> configure it to not open things on tap, or scroll when i run my finger
> down the side of the touchpad.

Do I understand you right that you *don't* want your touchpad to do
these things? Then I don't understand your mail at all.

> I don't really want to use a wrapper to get the synaptics driver working
> in debain 4 (xfce) just for these features.

What are you talking about? You should really try to be more precise in
your emails.

> apt-get install what? to use an alternative? :-) or am I way off?

'apt-cache search synaptics' will answer your question. And I bet you
already have it installed (and configured with some default options).

> Drivers go in th kernel don't they?

Not necessarily. For the kernel, your touchpad is nothing but a simple
PS/2 mouse. More advanced features may be configured via xorg.conf or
one of the GUI frontends (which can be run by ordinary users, once
synaptics has been set up properly).

J.
--
I will not admit to failure even when I know I am terribly mistaken and
have offended others.