synaptic? what no opensource driver?

This group is full of people wanting the synaptics touchpad driver. My touchpad works fine, but only as a touchpad. There are no options to configure it to not open things on tap, or scroll when i run my finger down the side of the touchpad.

I don't really want to use a wrapper to get the synaptics driver working in debain 4 (xfce) just for these features.

apt-get install what? to use an alternative? :-) or am I way off? Drivers go in th kernel don't they?

Thanks