etc floppy install question

Hi, I have a pretty complicated (at least to me) problem with a DEC HiNote Ultra 2000. I don't have the CD drive, so I'm trying to do a network install. The onboard ethernet and modem are handled by a Xircom combo card in an internal i82365 socket. The external PC card socket uses the yenta driver. Because of how the init scripts run, the yenta socket is detected and scanned, but once it's found the i82365 is ignored. This means I can't get access to that onboard NIC.

I've opened a shell from the installer and modprobed i82365, which works fine, but still no luck pulling up the Xircom card (it doesn't show up with lspci). If I go back to the installer after doing this the network card detection routine still doesn't find anything. Even if I explicitly choose the xirc2ps module it still can't find the card.

I've found some installation guides for this computer, but they all rely on installing from a CD and then fiddling with how the cardbus bridges are probed once the system is installed, which isn't an option for me unfortunately.

I think what I need to do is to manually load the i82365 bridge, and then let the system discover the xirc2ps card there and load it as eth0. I just don't know what commands to use to do this, and I'm really hampered because the installer busybox doesn't include vi, so to change any files I have to open up the udebs and edit the files by hand on another machine. I'm happy to do this if I have some idea of which changes to make, but right now I could spend days guessing.

Any suggestions here would be hugely helpful. Thanks!

Hugo