Re: Filtering an existing mbox with procmail

Hi,
I tested it yesterday evening and got some (little) trouble with the command:
 formail -s procmail -Y .procmail/debian-list.rc < Mail/inbox

I get:
Error when trying to write msg xxx to ""

for each message he tries to move (same error when replacing the -Y with -m).

I switched to formail -s procmail < Mail/inbox

This works, but is awfully slow and seems never to end (it launches a process in fg that does not stop; like as it was a daemon) and after 15 minutes he hardly had moved 2/3 of my 10 test messages.

Is this any normal??

Regards

Alexandre

2007/4/23, Paolo <oopla@users.sf.net>:
On Mon, Apr 23, 2007 at 06:02:45PM +0200, Klaus Wacker wrote:
> > In clear, I want be able to make something like:
> > procmail .procmail/debian-list.rc Mail/inbox
> >
> > where debian-list;rc is the filter rule and inbox the inbox on which to
> > apply the filter.
> >
> > Is that even possible using procmail? If yes, what options do I have to use?
> >

> Thats what formail is for. You probably want something like `formail -s
> procmail <Mail/inbox'. The -s stands for split. Formail calls procmail
> for each individual message.

that'd use ~/.procmailrc if any; if you want procmail to deliver as if msgs
were from fetchmail, that's fine - though I'd rather set -Y:

% formail -s procmail -Y .procmail/debian-list.rc < Mail/inbox

assuming Mail/inbox is in mbox format, of course; if the *.rc is a generic
filtering recipes set, you may want to use the -m flag instead:

% formail -s procmail -m -Y .procmail/debian-list.rc < Mail/inbox

but me careful that debian-list.rc doesn't have a rule that delivers to
Mail/inbox ;)

--
paolo