Re: hwclock

* Andrew McMillan <andrew@catalyst.net.nz> [2007-04-22 22:09:05 +1200]:

> Won't that mean that my hardware clock will have to be adjusted whenever
> there is a daylight savings transition?

No. Running localtime will automatically correct for DST.  The new US DST
was compensated for quite some time before the change was in effect.  I only
had problems on some clients' unpatched winslop boxes.  The Debian package
that keeps track of this is tzdata - if it's kept updated, political changes
of timezones will be compensated for.

> I have always set UTC=yes there, and it works just fine.  It is a matter
> of being consistent though.  If it is possible for you to be consistent
> then UTC=yes is probably better.

Yep.  I do this on all my straight *nix boxes - easier that way, and IMHO
much more sane.

> Of course if you are unlucky enough to have to reboot into some
> operating system which doesn't support the idea of the hardware clock
> being set to a standard time then no UTC for you! :-)

I believe the OP was doing a dual boot with winslop, hence the extra
gyration.

Cheers,

Dave.