Re: Re: IBM T22 S3 Savage Video Sarge to Etch Upgrade

On Mon, Apr 16, 2007 at 05:43:38PM -0500, John T. Lapp wrote:

> egrep '^\((EE|WW)\)' /var/log/Xorg.0.log
> (EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/psaux
> (EE) Configured Mouse: cannot open input device
> (EE) PreInit failed for input device "Configured Mouse"
> (EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/psaux
> (EE) PreInit failed for input device "Synaptics Touchpad"
> (WW) No core pointer registered

I remember an issue from 1.5 years ago, when I did an update on (then
testing) Etch which led to a touchpad problem.  I think the
Synaptics touchpad was somehow related to pcmcia stuff (yenta socket)
and hotplug used to recognize it automatically before the update.
(This was an Averatec 3250 laptop.)

The update introduced udev, but that didn't work for kernels older than
2.6.15 (the Sarge kernel is 2.6.8) and it conflicted with hotplug.  Also
there was an issue related to pcmcia-cs (for older than 2.6.13) vs.
pcmcia-utils (for 2.6.13 or higher).

Maybe making sure you have the Etch kernel, udev, and pcmcia-utils would
solve your touchpad problem.

Selim T. Erdoğan