Re: Setting hwclock --localtime fails

On Do, Apr 12, 2007 at 09:14:49 +0200, Anders Ellenshøj Andersen wrote:
> I run a dual boot system with Vista and Debian unstable.
>
> The clock in Debian is two hours ahead because it thinks the time is UTC.
>
> I have been adviced that I should use hwclock to set the time to local time,
> but I get this error:

I think it is a bad, bad advice. And its wrong :-) You should tell your
system its not running UTC. Set UTC=no in /etc/default/rcS and your
system will run with local time, like Windows does.

You should never use hwclock. Let your system work for you, don't work
against your system :-)

other Problem:

> kit:~# hwclock --localtime
> select() to /dev/rtc to wait for clock tick timed out
>
> Is there a bug? Any hints on what to do?

No, not as far as I know. AFAIK this is the new?? but preferred way to
set the hardware clock. On some systems it isn't working, like yours. So
you should try to insert the option "--directisa" to the HWCLOCKPARS
variable in every /etc/init.d/hwclock*.sh

> I have noticed that this error occurs during boot as well.

This should go away with --directisa

Frank