Re: Boot on CD, transfer to USB?

Use the GRUB for dos version.  It will allow you to boot using the WinXP
bootloader(Grldr).  You can copy the vmlinuz and initrd files from your boot
directory and create the grub menu.1st entries to boot them.  This will just
load the kernel and initial ram disk from the hard drive and then use the USB
drive for everything else.  No CD required.  You will need to update the
vmlinux(kernel) and initrd files manually everytime you update your kernel.
Actually come to think of it, just install the whole system to the USB drive.
including GRUB.  GRUB for Dos should chainload the GRUB on the USB drive and
save you the manual updates for the kernel.

Robert