Re: Probleme de dsdt

2007/3/20, dave <sdpatt2@gmail.com>:
on Tue, Mar 20, 2007 at 09:11:54AM +0100 Alexandre Neubert wrote:
> Hello everybody,
> First of all I want to apologize for having send my previous request in
> french

So there is a Debian- French list...

Indeed, we are quite a lot to use this distribution ...

> For the proposed solution, I have some questions:
> * How come that I have to run a 686 kernel (even smp) when I have a amd64
> architecture? Are the dual cores special 686 architectures? Should I have
> installed another etch iso?

Possibly - a quick google for the specs of the Asus G1 show an Intel
Core 2 Duo CPU running on a 32 bit Intel bus - very similar to what I
have in my Toshiba here.  This is not AMD, it is Intel, and the 686 (or
Pentium Pro) optimizations will work better for the bus.

For the CPU - the kernel needs to be of type SMP (symmetric
multiprocessor) because the core 2 duo is two processors on one chip,
with a common cache.  The 2.6.20.3 kernel from kernel.org does have the
kernel type Core2/Newer Xeon available, and this is what you should
select for processor type. Do not select hyperthreading as it is not
available for the chip, do select hotpluggable cpu and do select the
desktop optimizations for the kernel (1000 Mhz clock, preempt, preempt
the kernel big lock).

Ok, I'll check it out this evening.

In the ACPI section you will need to enable the ACPI processor P-states
driver along with the various types of governors you wish to use
(userspace, performance, etc. as modules).  Be advised that HAL and
hardware detection schemes sometimes lag behind these newer buses in
developement, so you may have to insert the ACPI modules you want to use
through /etc/modules to get everything working the way you want, but
that's a minor thing with userspace stuff and the acpi kernel modules
should see your processor fine once loaded.

Yes I know this procedure very well ;)

> * Last question; I will fix the dsdt table, but are these errors related to
> my problem? Can I leave the dsdt as it is or has it to be fixed anyway for
> my problem to be solved?

Quite frankly, I wouldn't go through the hassle right now of fixing the
dsdt table until after the initial issues of proper kernel selection for
cpu type and software optimization for bus type are resolved.

It could very well be that your bios's DSDT will do fine once you have
that sorted,  but let's look at one thing at a time.

Ouf, I'm glad to hear that; I already had to recompile a DSDT once, and if I can avoid that, I'll do it ...

I'm not sure how to get from an AMD64 install to an i86 install
painlessly (I've never done it).  I don't know what's entailed with
that.

If it were me, I'd reinstall the using the i86 distribution.

No problem with reinstallation, there is nothing on the machine yet.
I went to the iso download site http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/etch_di_rc2/ and besides the amd64 arch, there is only the 386 iso.
You mean I should reinstall my system using the 386 or is there an iso I am missing??
In that case, I don't understand; I thought the core2 duo where 64bit architecture, not 32, and since the ia64 arch is only for xeon (is that right?), there is only the 386 left. Or is the ia64 the right one?

Regards,

Alexandre

Ciao,

Dave