Madwifi & Kernel Updates

Hello.  I just added the latest Linux kernel, the second update since I installed Debian in early December 2006.  I noticed with the first update (circa late December), that my wi-fi connection (Madwifi) wasn't functioning after installation.  I reconfigured it and all was well.  I've just downloaded the second update however - and, the wi-fi isn't working again.  I'm a newbie, so I'm wondering why this is.  My guess, it's because Madwifi is non-free.  Is this right?

Sebastian

--
"...heart and soul....one will burn."
- Joy Division