Re: a dumb query? pls humor me

LOL.  Yeah, I've gotten off what would have been some very expensive
tickets too.  The only reason I could ever think of was because of the
cars I was driving at the time piqued the cops interest.

I once got pulled over for doing about 90 in town and having a huge blue
cloud of tire smoke behind me in my 69 ElCamino.  I was honest, didn't
lie, but the cop really liked my car and he gave me a verbal warning.
That was about 30 years ago though.  I also got off on a speeding ticket
in my Subaru SVX.  The cop looked the car over really carefully, asked
me if I knew how fast I was going, and I told him, "Not until I saw you.
I really don't have any sense of speed in this car until I hit 100."  He
laughed and said, "I believe it."  He gave me a verbal warning for close
to 70 in a 45 mph zone on a two lane country road.

Other times I've been pulled over for 3 miles an hour over. The car a
person drives and the attitude towards the cop makes a lot of difference
between warnings and tickets, at least in my experience.