Re: loopback not up by default

On Mit, 07 Feb 2007, Enrique Perez-Terron wrote:

> I have a laptop with deban etch. When I boot up, the loopback device is not up and runnning,
> I need to manually run 'ifconfig lo up'.  What could I possibly have wrong?

in
/etc/network/interfaces

# We always want the loopback interface.
#
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

the "auto lo" makes sure the interface is up
the "iface" configures it correctly

and in /usr/share/doc/ifupdown/examples
are more advanced examples for /etc/network/interfaces

> When I installed, I could not do an ordinary install because I needed the madwifi wireless driver,
> which was not on the network install images. I had to download a couple of packages into
> the Windows partition, and hand install them in debian until I could compile the driver.
> This means I may have omitted some basic package, since I am also new to debian.

then welcome to debian :-)

--
Florian Reitmeir