3d Acceleration, Resolution etc

Hi all,

I hava a dell Inspiron 6000 and I installed Etch on it. I must say that
the installation was quite painless and the new kernel detected almost
everything without tweaking e.g. the ipw2200 wireless card, touchpad,
graphics card, sound chip. On the first go, I had a nice workig system.

Still I have following problems in my system.

1.

Interesting thing is, I also have out of the box 3d acceleration with
ati driver (automatically loaded kernel module). I could confirm this
by running glxinfo which says "direct rendering: yes". But I cannot
check the fps rate. When I run glxgears, I see the gears rotating, but
it doesnt print any fps rate. In my slackware system at work, the
command prints the fps rate.

Do I need to tweak the xorg.conf for that ? What should I add ?

2. I still have a very low resolution, although the graphics card is
detected propely. I can go upto 1680 x 1250 resolution, but I can only
get 1024 x 768. I have
ati mobility x300 graphic card with 128mb memory.

Any suggestions ?

regards,
Hardik