Re: Re: losing mails

> On 7/21/06, Mihira Fernando <mihiratheace@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Ritesh Raj Sarraf wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > On my laptop I run Postfix to send mails. I receive mails from my
> > > gmail account using fetchmail.
> > [snip]
> >
> > Why bother with all this ? Use an email client like Thunderbird directly
> > with gmail to handle your mail.
>
> What if you have your own domain but no hosting services. You want to
> receive mails for your domain. You can, ofcourse, forward incoming
> mails to a gmail account and pull from thre using fetchmail.
>
> But how do you send mails ?
> Running a local mailserver on the laptop won't help. Your mails will
> get tagged as spam because the Reverse DNS entries won't match.
>
> I'm asking this to know if any user here has similar situation or not.
> If yes, how do you tackle it.

Mail is indeed complicated, and I do not pretend to know how it
all works.

I don't see anything wrong with fechmail. I have no experience with
it, since I use gnus'es internal "fetchmail" backend implementation.
But here is what I know: if you use such a backend to fetch mail,
it should put it into, say, an mbox file with a unique name, thereafter
your mail client should classify and sort the mails for you, displaying
them and putting copies into whatever directory structure it supports.
But the mbox file that the "fetchmail" got should remain unless you
have set options to remove it immediately. I have cron job that wipes
these out once a month so whenever I lose mails due to some
misnumbering on gnus's part after a crash or some other mishap,
I can recover my mails from the source, so to speak.

So I suggest first making sure you find and set options in your fetchmail
to not delete the source mail file that is created on your machine from
the mails downloaded from remote servers.

Gernot

--
Gernot Hassenpflug
Find out how something works, to know its functionality and limits