Re: Shutdown my Laptop? Why should I?

On 7/14/06, Derek Broughton <news@pointerstop.ca> wrote:
On every laptop I've ever used.  One interesting quirk - my wife's compaq,
which is never used on battery (because the battery was already dead when
we got it) immediately boots when it is plugged in if the battery is not
present.  When a battery (even dead) _is_ present, you have to plug it in
and then press the laptop's power button.

Many users wishing to extend their battery life never leave a charged
battery in the laptop when it's plugged in (the fact that the battery gets
hot from the CPU is more of a life-shortener than that it is being
charged).  I think that's not worth the convenience of built-in UPS.
--
derek

This could be an excellent server computer.  No need to worry about it turning back on when the power goes out as long as you keep the battery removed.

Of course, that is for those of us without a UPS.

--
Clinton V. Weiss
cvweiss@gmail.com