Re: yaird, kernel 2.6.17 and dm-crypted disks

On Thu, Jul 13, 2006 at 12:12:36AM +0200, Miroslav Maiksnar wrote:
> Problems with /etc/crypttab are:
> 1) I'm not using it at all, because it is located on encrypted partition and
> at the moment, when it become accessible is everything already set up.
> 2) when I setup information in crypttab according to my needs, i got message
> "yaird error: encrypted device 'root' has keyfile specified
> in /etc/crypttab:6. This is not supported. (fatal)". And after some RTFM I
> found "If the source of the passphrase is something other than the console,
> abort. There are too many variables to support this reliably."

yaird uses /etc/crypttab to figure out how to access an encrypted root
filesystem (what modules to load, what parameters to cryptsetup needs to
open the device...). Unfortunately for you yaird is unable to handle
keyfiles. In my experience it is also virually impossible to tell yaird
what do do. Either it can handle thinks automagically or you're out of
luck.
So I would suggest you try initramfs-tools.

michael