Re: Xfree configuration

On Thu, Jun 29, 2006 at 18:03:34 +0300, Dionisis Petromanolakis wrote:
> hi all,
>
> I have a SONY-VAIO VGN-FS315S laptop with an NVIDIA GeForce 6400 card.
> I installed on it the latest distribution of Debian but i dont have
> any graphical interface because of a problem with Xfree.
>
> i assumed that the problem has to do with the drivers that debian uses
> and instead of nv i may need to use nvidia driver. For this reason i
> downloaded NVIDIA-Linux-x86-2.0-7182-pkg1.run installer from NVIDIA in
> order to install it and fix the problem. But i cannot install this
> driver because a file named version.h is missing from the directory
> /usr/src/linux/include/linux, according to the error message i get.
>
> Does anyone have a solution to my problem? Do i need to install the
> nvidia driver in order to solve it or is it something else? If the
> problem can be fixed simple by using this driver, how can i make the
> installer work? Do i need to compile the kernel again? Do i need some
> extra packages or headers?
>
> I m new to linux so please give me real simple instructions. Thank you
> very much in advance,

Here are two links with information about Nvidia drivers and Debian:

http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers
http://home.comcast.net/~andrex/Debian-nVidia/

The error message that you are seeing means that the Nvidia installer
does not find the information which it needs to build the driver for the
kernel that you are running. You need to install the "kernel-headers"
package for your kernel. The links above have more details.

The free "nv" driver that is distributed with Debian stable ("Sarge") is
too old to support your card. I don't know if the non-free nvidia driver
will work very well with the old version of XFree86 that you have now.
If you run into trouble with it you might want to consider installing
the "back-ported" version of Xorg, which you can find here:

http://www.backports.org/package.php?search=xorg

(Xorg is the newer version of the X window system in Debian; a backport
is a version which has been specially compiled so that it can be
installed on Debian stable.)

--
Regards,
          Florian