Xfree configuration

hi all,

I have a SONY-VAIO VGN-FS315S laptop with an NVIDIA GeForce 6400 card. I installed on it the latest distribution of Debian but i dont have any graphical interface because of a problem with Xfree.

i assumed that the problem has to do with the drivers that debian uses and instead of nv i may need to use nvidia driver. For this reason i downloaded NVIDIA-Linux-x86-2.0-7182-pkg1.run installer from NVIDIA in order to install it and fix the problem. But i cannot install this driver because a file named version.h is missing from the directory /usr/src/linux/include/linux, according to the error message i get.

Does anyone have a solution to my problem? Do i need to install the nvidia driver in order to solve it or is it something else? If the problem can be fixed simple by using this driver, how can i make the installer work? Do i need to compile the kernel again? Do i need some extra packages or headers?

I m new to linux so please give me real simple instructions. Thank you very much in advance,

dionysis