Re: using another WM alongside gnome

Le dimanche 25 juin 2006 à 16:15 -0500, Dan Davison a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I've just installed Debian Sarge on a new laptop. During the install
> process, I chose to have a desktop environment. However I would really
> like to have the choice to quit out of gnome (or never enter it) and use a
> different window manager, when I want. I have the .xsession file from my
> old debian system that sets up an X session with the ion window manager,
> and I would like to be able to choose between using gnome and using ion.
>
> Could someone advise me how to do this? The machine boots directly into
> gnome using gdm, and I have not worked out how to have any control over
> this.

Sorry, I don't have my sarge box here. In essence, each "session" in gdm
is defined by .desktop file in /etc/dm (IIRC). What I think I did is I
setup one called custom.desktop that basically sources the
user's .xsession. This way you can decide at anytime whether to use your
handcrafted session or use a default gnome, kde, icewm or whatever
session.

If you don't manage by tomorrow, I'll try and see what I did exactly.

Cheers, T.