Re: using another WM alongside gnome

Dan Davison wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just installed Debian Sarge on a new laptop. During the install
> process, I chose to have a desktop environment. However I would really
> like to have the choice to quit out of gnome (or never enter it) and use
> a different window manager, when I want. I have the .xsession file from
> my old debian system that sets up an X session with the ion window
> manager, and I would like to be able to choose between using gnome and
> using ion.
>
> Could someone advise me how to do this? The machine boots directly into
> gnome using gdm, and I have not worked out how to have any control over
> this.
>
> Thanks a lot,
>
> Dan

Hello Dan,

Use apt-get to remove gdm, re-boot and you'll, hopefully :-), be shown
the command line login. After logging in, run "startx". Use
"update-alternatives" to choose the priority of your WM. You can also
try the "wmanager" package that lets you choose your WM on X starting.

Hope this helps,
ST