Re: installing sarge from hard drive on libretto110ct

Am 2006-05-25 21:40:39, schrieb Liudmila Yafremava:

> Hello!

> using only floppies. I made attempts to install both potato
> and sarge that way, with the same result: after booting with a
> linux boot floppy, the machine demands a root floppy but
> never releases the floppy drive (it continues to spin). When,
> ignoring that, I pull the boot floppy and replace it with the
> root floppy, it responds with a bunch of queer messages and
> "unable to mount root floppy" etc. Somewhere I read that
> initial linux boot floppy does not have the pcmcia drivers
> on it, so the machine may not be able to communicate with
> its floppy in such an install. Correct me if I am wrong.

I had this sort of problems too...

But it is easy to solv, IF you

1)  Can boot with a Win95B bootfloppy downloaded from the internet

2)  Remove all what is not neccesary for creating a DOS partition
    and formating it.

3)  Download syslinux.exe and rawread.exe from the internet and put
    it on the floppy too.

5)  Boot the Floppy and crate a DOS partition of around 28 MByte
    and make it DOS bootable.

6)  reboot the system and copy syslinux.exe and "example-preseed.txt"
    to the Harddrive C:

6)  Rename the "example-preseed.txt" to "syslinux.cfg" and
    edit it to your needs

7)  now on another system download the files
        boot.img.gz
        initrd.gz
        vmlinuz
    from the directory /debian/dists/sarge/main/installer-i386/current/images/hd-media/

8)  Split the boot.img.gz into 6 parts of 1,3 MByte and transfer
    it to drive c:

9)  Do the same with initrd.gz (3 parts)

10) vmlinuz can be copied directly

11) now resemble the singel parts with

    copy \b boot.img.gz.1 \b boot.img.gz.2 \b boot.img.gz.3
         \b boot.img.gz.4 \b boot.img.gz.5 \b boot.img.gz.6
         \b boot.img.gz.7 \b boot.img.gz.8    boot.img.gz

    and

    copy \b initrd.gz.1 \b initrd.gz.2 \b initrd.gz.3 initrd.gz

12) now call
        syslinux c:
    which will write the bootsector...

13) If you NOW reboot the system, it will start the installation
    directly from the 28 MByte DOS-Partition

ATTENTION:      Instead of syslinux you can use loadlin.exe
                and the install.bat provided by Debian.

In this case, you have not the need to make C: bootable for syslinux...
...and if you configure LILO/GRUB right after successfull installation,
you can always boot into the DOS partition for new installations or such.

Greetings
    Michelle Konzack

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSM LinuxMichi
0033/6/61925193    67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)