Re: ieee80211 package not installable. What does "compile from kernel" mean?

Guilherme Menegon Arantes wrote:
I compiled it from the
2.6.16-7 kernel, instead of the separate source packages.

I have somehow got it working, so how or other (as I noted previously) but I would be grateful if someone would teach what the above remark means. Surely its is not that one has to do a whole kernel build.

"The driver versions included into the kernel are the same (or almost) as the versions provided by the debian source packages."

So, there is a source package for these that appears somehow when you do a regular install of a kernal-image-xxx?

I though I was just getting wireless to work, but its turned into a whole education in debian-- thanks everyone.

David Riggs,
Kyoto