Re: PCMCIA 80211g wireless card that works with Etch

* Duncan Robertson <duncan@minihub.org> [2006 Dec 07 20:57 -0600]:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know any current PCMCIA 80211g cards that work with the
> Debian Etch kernels "out of the box", i.e. no kernel patching or
> ndiswrapper type stuff needed? - or at least will work with a bit of
> additional apt-get of drivers.

I have a Linksys WPC55AG that is Atheros based and supported by the
Madwifi driver.  Even though the module source package is in non-free,
building it is very easy with module-assistant which takes care of
getting the proper headers for your running kernel, configures them,
compiles the driver, builds a .deb package and finally installs it with
two commands.

After building and installing for the latest kernel Sunday evening, I
purged the old wpasupplicant and just used wlassistant from within KDE
to connect to my WEP enabled router.  Smooth as silk.

Check out www.madwifi.org for more information.

- Nate >>

  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  | free since January 1998.
             http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/           |  "Debian, the choice of