Re: xorg and 1280x800 --SOLVED

> On Tue, Nov 28, 2006 at 09:25:55PM -0000, richard@the-place.net wrote:
>> > On Tue, Nov 28, 2006 at 01:17:48PM -0000, richard@the-place.net wrote:
>> Well, thank you for that, Damián.  But it didn't help. I tried using a
>> mode that is listed -- to replace it, as you say.  Perhaps there is
>> something else that needs to be done other than editing the
>> defaults/915resolution file in order to register the change.
>
> Sure, sorry, I forgot to mention that you should run
> /etc/init.d/915resolution start after modifing
> /etc/default/915resolution.

For those who read this thread hereafter, a summary:
 -  Run '915resolution -l'.  Choose an existing mode to replace. It's
    logical to choose the mode that is just too big.
 -  Edit /etc/default/915resolution to show the required resolution for
    the selected mode. Eg:
        MODE=49
        XRESO=1280
        YRESO=800
        BIT=16
 -  Run '/etc/init.d/915resolution start' which will replace the selected
    mode.  (If you use a mode not listed, it will appear to be "replaced"
    too, but remain unlisted.)
 -  Edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf (or presumably XF86Config-4, if you still
    have XFree86) to show the required resolution in Section "Screen",
    eg:
        SubSection "Display"
          Depth 24
          Modes "1280x800"
        EndSubSection
 -  and restart X

Damián: un grand'abbraccio!  Thanks, that is all it needed.  I'm sure I
read that somewhere too, but it slipped my mind when I needed it.  You've
transformed my life.  Thanks.

--
richard